Canada (W) v Japan (W) Preview and Where to Watch
- → Tipoff at 14:00 GMT on Sunday, 11th February 2024.
- → Match to be played at the Arena Sopron, Sopron (Hungary).
- → Four-team tie means all Olympic tickets are still up for grabs.
- → Japan's slip against Hungary means Japan need to wait to celebrate Olympic qualification.
- → Canada could not win in toe-to-toe Spain game, postponing their Olympic qualification.
Canada and Japan need a win for Olympics peace of mind
After Japan rolled Spain on Day 1, the Five Reds were tipped to easily top the FIBA Women's Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Sopron and breeze past Hungary in their 2nd match. That seemed to be the case as Mai Yamamoto built an early lead reaching as many as 13 points in front of the Hungarian fans.
However, a historical rally by the Hungarian bench - outscoring the Japanese 10 to 40 - and Japan's failure to secure rebounds opened the door for a narrow loss for the Japanese.
Canada themselves had their chances at securing their Olympic tickets against Spain, as they led by 2 points with 4 minutes to go in the fourth quarter. A rare off night from Bridget Carleton, however, meant Canada could not get a single point on the board for the last 4 minutes of the game.
Will Team Canada bounce back or will their wastefulness in the game against Spain weigh on their minds as they take the court against Japan?
Canada vs Japan where to watch
Watch Canada vs Japan live from the Arena Sopron on Courtside 1891 with a MAX Annual subscription or a MAX – FIBA Women’s Olympic Qualifying Tournaments pass. Check out our live basketball streaming plans.
Depending on your location, blackout restrictions may apply. Check what games are available to you here.