Alexander Madsen leads VEF Riga to crucial win over Lenovo Tenerife
- → VEF Riga defeat Lenovo Tenerife 77-72 at the Arena Riga.
- → Finnish veteran scores 17, six rebounds, and four dimes to make it 2-3 for the Vefins.
- → Tenerife will now need to win in Cholet to secure first place.
- → All is to play for in Group C in Gameday 6 of the BCL.
- → Tenerife still have tiebreaker advantage over Riga in case of 3-3 finish.
VEF Riga beat Tenerife to spice things up in Group C
A clutch performance from Finnish power forward Alexander Madsen, who scored 11 points in the fourth quarter, helped home side VEF Riga win their 2nd game at the Arena Riga, complicating things for Tenerife in the final Gameweek of the BCL.
Arnaldo Toro Barea helped VEF win the rebounding battle with 14 boards (6 of which offensive) in 29 minutes of action as the starters for the Latvian side provided huge contributions to secure the win. Isaiah Pineiro scored 16, and Adams added 15 despite his struggles from the field (5/16), while Dairis Bertans also just reached double digits (10 points).
For the visitors, Huertas scored 13 and Abromaitis 5, meaning they both reached 399 career points in the BCL. Georgian Giorgi Shermadini was one of the few Canarios not to struggle from the field: while Huertas and Fernandez combined for 27 points, they did so on 10/25 from the field. Shermadini scored 16 on 6/8, but his efforts weren’t enough for Lenovo Tenerife.
On a tough night for the visitors, Sasu Salin became the first player to score 200 triples in the Basketball Champions League.
VEF Riga - Lenovo Tenerife Game Highlights
Relive the battle at the Arena Riga with the VEF Riga - Lenovo Tenerife game highlights.