Serbia vs Germany FIBA World Cup Final Preview, Prediction & How To Watch
- → Serbia vs Germany, the 2023 FIBA World Cup Final, will tip off at 1:40 PM GMT+1 on Sunday September 10th 2023 from Mall of Asia Arena, Philippines.
- → Serbia led from start to finish against Canada in statement win.
- → Germany was able to contain USA rally in a proper thriller in Manila with 111-113 win.
- → FIBA World Cup trophy will remain in Europe after Spain won title in 2019.
- → Watch the 2023 FIBA World Cup Final live on Courtside1891.
Pešić back in a FIBA World Cup Final after 2002 Indianapolis win
Svetislav Pešić will come back to the World Cup final after his 2002 medal with FK Yugoslavia, won against Argentina in Indianapolis behind Bodiroga and Stojakovic’s standout performances. The Serbians had defeated a Team USA featuring Reggie Miller and Paul Pierce on home soil first. Marco Guduric, current guard/forward for Serbia, said after the Semi-Final vs. Canada in response to a question whether he saw that game: "Sure I did. That's why I started watching basketball". He was 7. 21 years later, the Serbia national team will rely once again on an NBA-level forward in Bogdan Bogdanovic after their solid win against Canada.
In a way, the 2002 FIBA World Cup is symbolic for Germany too. For Germany, that was their first ever medal (and last before Sunday's grand final) in a World Cup. Led by a young Dirk Nowitzki, they won bronze. All of Germany's current generation of players grew up watching and admiring Dirk. The same Pešić, by the way, was Germany's head coach when they won the 1993 EuroBasket.
Serbia will have to fight against Germany, after Die Maanschaft pulled off a historical upset as they beat Team USA in one of the best games in FIBA’s history. Obst was the Deus ex Machina with 24 points on 6/11, meanwhile Theis added 21 points on 66.7% from the field. Team USA came back to a two-point deficit but Germany held off to punch their ticket to the grand final. Now Schroder and co will have to pass the final test, a Serbia team that is flying with confidence and potentially more rested than this Germany team.
Serbia vs Germany – FIBA World Cup Final key factors and predictions
Germany’s offense has been on fire for the whole World Cup, and Serbia will have another herculean task if they hope to stop them from another eruption. Germany will look to remain unbeaten and bring their first basketball World Cup home. Key duels and factors include:
- → Theis vs Milutinov – both big men were unstoppable in the semi-finals matchups. The battle in the paint will also be a determining factor in who gets their hands on the trophy.
- → Perimeter defense – Bonga on Bogdanovic and Avramovic on Schroder will need to keep the same defensive intensity they showed in their respective Semi-Final matches.
- → Bench and role players – Obst had 24 against Team USA, Guduric and Avramovic has 12 and 10 respectively for Serbia in their semi-final. Who can extract more from their role players will likely emerge victorious.
Serbia vs Germany - FIBA World Cup Final Prediction
Unless one of the finalists show us otherwise, this final will be a close contest between two teams with great execution and a solid identity. There are no clear-cut favorites for this match, but we’re betting on Serbia’s energy, enthusiasm, and passion to make Bogi and co World Champions on Sunday.
Serbia vs Germany: How to Watch the FIBA World Cup Final
This FIBA World Cup Final match-up from Manila will be available to stream live* worldwide on Courtside 1891 on Sunday September 10th, from 13:40 PM GMT+1.
- → Serbia vs Germany live stream will be available on Courtside 1891
- → Don’t worry if you can’t catch the live action, Courtside 1891 will have extensive on-demand coverage and highlights after the game finishes. For the latest highlights alerts as well as live streaming and premium on-demand content, download the official Courtside 1891 app
*blackout restrictions may apply where you live. Please check our blackouts page for more information.