Serbia vs Canada FIBA World Cup Preview, Predictions & Live Stream
- Serbia vs Canada to tip off at 9:45 AM GMT+1 on Friday September 8th 2023 from Mall of Asia Arena, Philippines
- Serbia looked extremely convincing during their runaway win on Lithuania
- Canada clinched semi-finals after win on Slovenia with Brooks and Doncic sent off
- Paint control and athleticism on the perimeter key in this closely-contested matchup
Serbia and Canada ready to battle for historical FIBA World Cup final spot
Two very different teams, both in style and identity, will face off in what is expected to be a very close affair in the first FIBA World Cup semi-final in Manila, Philippines. Serbia have achieved their goal, qualified for the semi-finals and locked in for a trip to Paris at the 2024 Olympics.
Canada will want to do their best to qualify for an highly-anticipated final meeting vs Team USA, having also qualified for the Olympics. Team Canada, arguably alongside Germany, definitely looks like the most reliable candidate to challenge Steve Kerr’s USA team for the World Championship, and have been able to show resilience in tough, high-pressure situations such as their game vs Spain.
However, they will face a tough customer in Serbia, a team that has played with skill, intensity, and confidence as they edged Lithuania in their quarter-finals matchup. The Eagles will want to impose their rhythm from the start of the game as they’ve done against Lithuania, although Canada will be better equipped to stop their perimeter players with lockdown defenders Dillon Brooks and Luguentz Dort.
Canada will be confident they can impose themselves over Serbia with their athleticism and NBA-level talent spread across the whole team – as well as Shai Gilgeous-Alexander’s incredible form.
Serbia vs Canada– preview and key factors
Although this looks like a heavily Canadian-favored matchup, it would be naïve to write off Serbia as they showed that their resilience, skill, and passion can get them past most opponents. The fronts where this FIBA World Cup semi-final will be decided are:
- Serbia’s offense – Canada have some lockdown defenders in their arsenal. Serbia will need to ensure they keep their three-point percentage up if they want to have a chance against a theoretically better opponent.
- Paint battle – Milutinov vs Canada’s big men is an interesting game inside the game. The Serbian needs to put pressure in the paint and be able to win the rebounding battle in his own area if Serbia are to qualify for the final.
- Limiting Bogey Bogdanovic – Brooks and Dort have a hard task, but nothing they’re not used to. As we’ve seen in Serbia’s only defeat against Italy, a bad night for Bogdanovic will make the Eagles easier to beat.
- SGA’s performance – the OKC Thunder star is one of the most credible candidates for FIBA World Cup MVP. Serbia will need to find a way to limit his output if they want to have a chance to reach the final.
Serbia vs Canada Prediction
Canada’s talent will beat Serbia’s passion and energy, although every outcome is possible in this game. We expect a close affair between two fired-up teams.
Serbia vs Canada: How to Watch
This FIBA World Cup Quarter Finals match-up from Manila will be available to stream live* worldwide on Courtside 1891 on Friday, September 8th , from 9:45 AM GMT+1.
- Serbia vs Canada live stream
- Don’t worry if you can’t catch the live action, Courtside 1891 will have extensive on-demand coverage and highlights after the game finishes. For the latest highlights alerts as well as live streaming and premium on-demand content, download the official Courtside 1891 app
*blackout restrictions may apply where you live. Please check our blackouts page for more information.