Canada vs Slovenia FIBA World Cup Quarter Finals Preview, Predictions & Live Stream
- Canada vs Slovenia to tip off at 1:30 PM GMT+1 on Wednesday September 6th 2023 from Mall of Asia Arena, Philippines
- Slovenia failed to clinch top spot after loss to Germany
- Canada had to wait till Abrines’ game-tying three hit the rim before punching their ticket to the quarter finals
- The two teams face off for a place in the semi-finals
- Stream Canada-Slovenia live on Courtside 1891*
Canada and Slovenia ready to offer star-laden quarter finals matchup
Luka and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander have been two of the main protagonists of the 2023 FIBA World Cup, both showcasing their scoring and playmaking abilities in the competition so far. On Wednesday, they’ll face each other for a place in the semifinals. Before they’re unexpected K.O. vs Brazil, Canada were tipped to give Team USA a run for their money at the FIBA World Cup, but the Cariocas managed to upset them and force them into a win or go home situation against Spain, the current World Champions. Canada emerged victorious through SGA’s offensive magic, paired with some clutch buckets by Kelly Olynyk in the fourth quarter.
Slovenia also reaches the quarters with a score of 4-1, and suffered their first loss when they faced off against Germany on Sunday, unable to contain a great German offense, leading to a blowout loss. Luka and co will need to rebound and hope for a good night from behind the ark if they want to upset Team Canada and punch their ticket to the semi-finals.
Canada vs Slovenia– preview and key factors
Canada’s depth might look like too big a hurdle to overcome even for a star like Luka Doncic, who will have to face familiar faces such as RJ Barrett and lockdown defender Dillon Brooks during Slovenia’s tough quarter-final matchup. The ballgame will be decided by a variety of factors including:
- Luka’s performance – it’s no secret that Slovenia’s offensive output revolves around the pick and roll between Doncic and Tobey. Will Canada be able to shut them down?
- Canada’s shooting night. Slovenia will have watched the Canadians’ loss against Brazill and will try their best to shut down Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and turn this into a lower scoring game.
- Slovenia’s three-point shooting – Doncic and Tobey are great at drawing help and double teams. Dragic, Prepelic and their teammates must ensure they make the most of the spaces Luka and Tobey create by just being in the game. Otherwise, it will be extremely tough for Slovenia.
- Dillon Brook’s defense – Brooks is known as a defensive specialist in the NBA, and will have to be top drawer to limit Doncic from the perimeter and force as many turnovers as he can.
Canada vs Slovenia Prediction
Luka can make the impossible look possible, even easy sometimes. Beating this Canada team would be yet another achievement to add to Luka Magic’s already prestigious curriculum. However, Canada is a tough opponent with a depth that’s only second to Team USA. Therefore, we think the Canadians are likely to get their pass to the semi-finals.
Canada vs Slovenia: How to Watch
This FIBA World Cup Quarter Finals match-up from Manila will be available to stream live* worldwide on Courtside 1891 on Wednesday, September 6th , from 1:30 PM GMT+1.
- Canada vs Slovenia live stream
- Don’t worry if you can’t catch the live action, Courtside 1891 will have extensive on-demand coverage and highlights after the game finishes. For the latest highlights alerts as well as live streaming and premium on-demand content, download the official Courtside 1891 app
*blackout restrictions may apply where you live. Please check our blackouts page for more information.